Image borrowed from original site
PREP: 10 MINUTES | COOK: 18 MINUTES | CHILL: 10 MINUTES | SERVES: 9-12
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 x 400g can, drained and rinsed very well)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (NOT optional)
- optional: more chips, for presentation
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well.
- Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook the black bean brownies for 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up!
- Cut into 9-12 brownies squares. The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient.
- Yummy! No one guessed the secret ingredient was black beans.
- To keep them vegan, make sure to use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Delicious on their own or served with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or ice cream