Now that’s it’s kinda starting to cool down a bit (still 23° in the middle of Winter? ?) the boys are asking for hot chocolates! Instead of buying store bought versions with their high sugar levels and preservatives, I went on a hunt to find a recipe that I could make myself!
I love this recipe by Well Nourished because not only is it lower in sugar, but I love that I can sneak in some other spices like cinnamon, tumeric, cardamom and ginger with their awesome added health benefits.
Tip: Make a bulk amount and keep it handy in the cupboard for when you need it!
PREP: 10 MINUTES | COOK: 10 MINUTES | SERVES: 2
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground cardamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla -powder, extract or essence
- 2 tsp sweetener (eg maple syrup, honey, raw sugar or coconut sugar)
- 500 ml milk of your choice (my preference is soy milk)
- In a small bowl, combine all spices and stir gently.
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan and warm gently (don’t let it boil!)
- Once the milk is warming, add in the hit chocolate spice mix and stir gently until it’s all dissolved.
- Pour into mugs and enjoy!