Image borrowed from original site
PREP: 20 MINUTES | COOK: 40 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, wiped with a damp paper towel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for coating the mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced (from a jar or DIY)
- 4 – 6 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 pinch dried oregano, crushed between your fingers
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a sided baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a small spoon, gently scoop the gills out of the inside of the mushroom. With a small knife, remove the stalk. Keep aside for now.
- Rub each mushroom with a bit of olive oil and set them on the prepared baking sheet, stalk side up.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add the olive oil then the onions and garlic. Sauté for 3 or 4 minutes, then add the zucchini and continue to cook as the zucchini begins to soften. Next add the red pepper and tomatoes (add some of the chopped leftover mushroom gills now if you like). Cook for one minute and add the spinach.
- Once the spinach wilts, remove the pan from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients, up to and including the Parmesan. Stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture in four; and stuff each mushroom with a quarter of the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes. Top each mushroom with about 1 tablespoon of the mozzarella (if you’re adding this ingredient) and continue baking for another 10 to 12 minutes or until the cheese is just beginning to get golden on top.
- I didn’t have any spinach so just left it out and it was still nice
- I didn’t have any oregano so used chives I needed to use up, but I can see how oregano would have been nice too!
- I didn’t want too much dairy so left out the mozzarella and only used the Parmesan
- These tasted like mini pizzas! So yummy! Not the quickest thing to make for a weeknight meal but you can pre make them and refrigerate for 2-3 days in an airtight container