This honestly doesn’t even taste like tofu. It’s my first time trying Massals chicken style stock powder, and I’m so impressed with the flavour. This sandwich recipe comes together quicker than you may think, ready to eat in about 20 minutes. Original recipe seen on Jessy Wallace’s instagram account.
PREP: 5 MINUTES | COOK: 10 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 250g firm tofu
- 2 tblsp chicken style stock powder (or your preferred chicken stock powder)
- olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, finely chopped
- 4 tblsp aioli or mayonnaise
- Mixed lettuce, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 slices Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese (optional, or your plant based alternative)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 x your preferred bread or rolls
- Your preferred butter spread
- Preheat oven to 200°c.
- Use grater to shred tofu block. Spread tofu across lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle stock powder and salt and pepper over top. Mix gently with spoon then place in oven for 15 minutes, until roasted and light brown.
- While the tofu is roasting, prepare sandwich mixture. In a medium sized bowl, add chopped red onion, celery, aioli, and cooked tofu. Mix to combine and add more aioli if needed to suit your personal preference.
- Butter bread and put avocado slices on four slices of bread. Layer sandwich with cheese slices, chopped lettuce, tofu mixture.
- Cut diagonally and serve.