A tasty and quick sandwich packed with roast veggies. This is one to make quickly when you want to impress friends with a meat free lunch.
Pic and original recipe by:
PREP: 15 MINUTES | COOK: 15 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 1 Loaf of Focaccia, Sourdough or Ciabatta (enough for 4 Sandwiches)
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced thin
- 450g Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs Fresh Thyme finely chopped
- 3 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 115g Goat Cheese (Omit or sub if wanting to keep it Vegan)
- 4 tablespoon chutney (my favourite is balsamic beetroot relish)
- 2 Roasted Red Bell Peppers patted dry, sliced
- 2 large handfuls of Baby Spinach
- In a saute’ pan add 2 tsp olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions, stir to coat and turn heat down to medium low. Cook stirring occassionally until softened and slightly caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining 2 tsp olive oil and heat until shimmering. Keep heat on medium high and add the garlic, balsamic, salt, thyme and mushrooms spreading them out into an even layer. Stir only occassionally so that they sear, for about 10 minutes or until dark golden. Set aside.
To Assemble the Panini:
- Cut the bread horizontally. On one side of the bread, spread chutney, and spread goats cheese on the other side.
- On the chutney bread layer with baby spinach, then roast capsicum, then mushroom mixture, then onions. Add a few grinds of black pepper. Top with bread spread with goats cheese.
- Toast in press if desired.
- Repeat until all the sandwiches are assembled.