Smokey pulled jackfruit & creamy slaw is all you need to make this tasty sandwich/burger for lunch!
Ready in 30 minutes and super simple to make, so I’ve you’ve never cooked with jackfruit before this is a good one to try first up.
I adapted this recipe (and borrowed the pic) from Minimalist Baker.
PREP: 10 MINUTES | COOK: 20 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 2x 300g can green jackfruit in water
- BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (plus more for topping)
- 100g cabbage + carrots slaw dry mix
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 4 Tbsp vegenaise
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Salt + pepper (to taste)
- 4 whole grain buns
- Mix together BBQ seasoning in a medium size bowl.
- Drain jackfruit. Add to bowl with seasoning and stir to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. Use forms to “shred” just before cooking times ends.
- In the meantime, make slaw. Mash avocado in a bowl, add vegenaise, lime juice, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add dry slaw mix and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Once the jackfruit is soft and shredded, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture, then remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit. Serve with extra BBQ sauce if desired.
- Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh.