This original recipe is from Tasty and is a good meal to make on a weeknight. Kid friendly and easy to make FODMAP friendly (use infused garlic and omit shallots). It has a mild flavour, so don’t skip the sriracha if you like it stronger.
PREP: 20 MINUTES | COOK: 10 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 450g extra firm tofu, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 200g wide pad thai noodles
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- ⅓ cup shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 200g broccoli, cut diagonally into pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, end removed and cut into pieces
- 2 Bok Choy, washed and chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Sriracha sauce, to taste (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and chilli powder.
- Add the tofu to a medium bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the sauce. Gently toss to coat. Reserve the rest of the sauce.
- Cook noodles to packet instructions (soak in hot water). Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large nonstick wok or frying pan over high heat, swirling the pan to coat. Working in batches, add the tofu to the pan in a single layer and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until browned. Flip and brown on the other side, 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the shallot to the pan and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and water and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the broccoli, bok choy and asparagus and cook, tossing occasionally, until crispy and tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked noodles tofu and remaining sauce to the wok and toss to combine. Cook until the noodles are warmed through and coated in the sauce, 1-2 minutes.
- Push the noodles to one side of the pan and pour the eggs into the empty space. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until the eggs are scrambled. Toss to incorporate the eggs into the rest of the dish.
- Divide between 4 serving plates. Drizzle with Sriracha if using.