The original recipe from Damn Delicious uses chicken, but I’ve made this with both chicken and tofu, and it’s equally delicious! Can be served with rice, or with veg – I usually serve mine in a Buddha bowl style with an assortment of sides.
PREP: 2 HOURS 30 MINUTES | COOK: 20 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1kg, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks (or firm tofu)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce, or more, to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- To make the peanut sauce, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chili garlic sauce and ginger in a small bowl. Whisk in 2-3 tablespoons water until desired consistency is reached; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and fish sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken (or tofu) and coconut milk mixture; marinate for at least 2 hours to overnight, mixing occasionally.
- Drain the chicken or tofu from the marinade, discarding the marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Add oil and cook chicken or tofu, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with peanut sauce and preferred sides.