I didn’t need to make any changes to this hello fresh recipe, it was delicious just as it is! Quick enough to make during the week, and easy to adjust slightly so that the kids will eat it, but we also enjoy it too.
PREP: 10 MINUTES | COOK: 30 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 zucchini
- 2 eggplant
- 2 red onion
- 2 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon garlic & herb seasoning
- 400g fusilli pasta
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 400g passata
- 2 x vegetable stock cubes
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 200g feta cheese (optional)
- 1 punnet basil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil. Finely chop the garlic. Cut the zucchini into 2cm chunks. Cut the eggplant into 2cm chunks. Slice the red onion into 2cm wedges.
- Spread the zucchini, eggplant, onion, cherry tomatoes on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle generously with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic & herb seasoning and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast until tender, 20-25 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, cook the fusilli in the boiling water and cook until ‘al dente’, 11 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain and return the pasta to the saucepan. Drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent sticking and cover to keep warm.
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook the garlic and fennel seeds, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the passata, vegetable stock, brown sugar and reserved pasta water and cook until slightly reduced, 2-3 minutes. Season to taste. TIP: Fennel is a strong flavour, use less if you’re not a fan.
- Add the fusilli and roasted veggies into the pan. Crumble 1/2 the fetta over the fusilli. Stir to combine.
- Divide the roasted eggplant and fennel fusilli between bowls. Crumble over the remaining fetta. Tear over the basil.
Image from original recipe website: hello fresh