This is one of my favourite recipes that everyone in the house will eat without a battle because it’s so easy to adjust depending on what you like and what’s in the fridge that needs to use up. I’ve also added corn kernels, sundried tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes and feta to the mix before And it’s still delish!
I make extra egg mixture to make mini quiches in the muffin tray for the kids.
This is a tasty recipe but not really one for the weeknight rush after work.
I’ve adapted this recipe and borrowed the pic from Taste
PREP: 30 MINUTES | COOK: 55 MINUTES | CHILL: 5 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 2 sheets frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 tbsp preferred butter
- 1-2 tbsp your favourite chutney or relish (I use tomato chutney or balsamic beetroot relish)
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cubed
- 1 roasted red capsicum, from a jar or previously roasted, thickly sliced
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup button mushrooms, halved
- 1 packet baby spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup your preferred milk
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (check to make sure brand is vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- Place pumpkin on baking tray. Spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on lower shelf of oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden. Remove vegetable tray from oven and set aside.
- Put onions and mushrooms in a saucepan with some oil, cook on a medium heat until just tender (10 minutes), lower temperature add the packet of baby spinach – fold in with the mushrooms until lightly wilted. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
- Grease quiche or pie dish and line base and sides With pastry. Prick base with a fork. Spread chutney thinly on base of pastry.
- Place eggs, milk and cheese in a large jug. Whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange all vegetables in bottom of pastry case on top of the chutney. Pour egg mixture over the top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden and just set.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and top with chopped coriander. Serve.