A really tasty hello fresh recipe that’s quick to whip up on a weeknight.
PREP: 20 MINUTES | COOK: 20 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- Olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 carrots
- 200g snow peas
- 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 inch knob ginger
- 400g Malaysian tofu
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 long red chilli
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to the boil. Add the jasmine rice and the salt, stir, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 12 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and keep covered until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes. TIP: The rice will finish cooking in its own steam so don’t peek!
- While the rice is cooking, thinly slice the carrot (unpeeled) into half-moons. Trim the snow peas and cut into 2cm pieces. Zest the lime, then slice into wedges. Finely chop the garlic. Finely grate the ginger. Cut the Malaysian tofu into 2cm chunks. Thinly slice the long red chilli (if using).
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast, tossing, until golden, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the carrot and a splash of water and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the snow peas and cook until just tender, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
- Return the frying pan to a medium-high heat with a drizzle more olive oil. Cook the Malaysian tofu, tossing, until browned, 4 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the veggies.
- Return the pan to a medium heat (no need to wash) with a small drizzle of olive oil if needed. Add the lime zest, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce and brown sugar and simmer, scraping up any yummy bits from the base of the pan, until thickened slightly, 2-3 minutes. Add a squeeze of lime juice to taste.
- Stir the toasted sesame seeds through the rice and season to taste. Divide the sesame rice between bowls and top with the peanut tofu and veggies. Spoon over the fragrant coconut sauce and garnish with the chilli (if using). Serve with the remaining lime wedges.
Recipe image from original website: hello fresh