This recipe is originally from Healthy Fitness Meals, I love using baked sweet potatoes as a base for the Mexican stuffing! The baking gives it a slightly caramelized taste. Scoop out the flesh or eat the skin, whatever floats your boat! This is a vegetarian option, but it can easily be Vegan by skipping the sour cream altogether or just use a vegan sour cream product.
PREP: 15 MINUTES | COOK: 60 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 4 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Brown or Red Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced or pressed
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, chopped
- 200g Tin Corn
- 1 Cup Canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 30g Mexican Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Avocado mashed (or pre-made guacamole to save time)
- 8 Tbsp Sour Cream or vegan alternative
- A small handful of fresh cilantro, chopped to garnish
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half on lengthways and place them (cut size up) on the baking sheet. Pierce flesh of each half with a fork 3-4 times.
- Roast for about 45-60 minutes, or until tender and soft. Turn off oven.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, and cook until tender, 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, black beans, tomato paste, seasoning and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and top them with the Mexican mixture, then add mashed avocado and a tablespoon of sour cream on top of each.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!