This is another recipe from hellofresh – so yummy I didn’t feel the need to make any adjustments or additions. Easy enough to whip up on a weeknight and so tasty. The kids didn’t eat this one as the Mexican seasoning was “too spicy” so I made milder versions for them.
PREP: 15 MINUTES | COOK: 30 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water (for the onion)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 400g tin organic chickpeas
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 cos head lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped into thin sticks
- 2 avocados, diced
- Mexican spice packet
- 100g tomato paste
- 1 cups water (for the chickpeas)
- 20 Mini flour tortillas
- 200g grated cheese
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- Thinly slice the red onion. In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, water, the salt and sugar. Scrunch the onion in your hands, then add to the pickling liquid. Stir to coat. Set aside until just before serving.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Finely chop the garlic. Shred the cos lettuce. Cut the cucumber into thin batons. Dice the avocado.
- In a large frying pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, Mexican spice blend and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the chickpeas and the water and bring to a simmer. Simmer until thickened, 3 minutes.
- Using a fork, lightly mash the chickpeas until some of them have broken up and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. TIP: Add a splash more water if the chickpea mixture looks too thick.
- Heat the mini flour tortillas in a warm oven or on a plate in the microwave for 10 second bursts, until just warmed through.
- Drain the pickled onions. Build your tacos by filling them with a helping of cos lettuce, smashed chickpeas, shredded Cheddar cheese, cucumber, avocado, pickled onions and a dollop of Greek yoghurt.