I’ve adapted this recipe from a hellofresh recipe. It was surprisingly quick and easy to make, so perfect for an after work meal, plus it’s tasty as it was originally (although I have make a few adjustments to add extra veggies and give an option to make it vegan). The bonus was that the kids loved it, I just put theirs on a separate tray to bake and didn’t use the spicy seasoning for them. The roasted corn is worth it, way yummier than from a tin!
PREP: 20 MINUTES | COOK: 35 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
- 3 large washed potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1cm wedges
- 1 sweet potato, washed, unpeeled, cut into 1cm wedges (Similar in size to the potato wedges)
- 1 sachet Mexican spice blend (Or make your own if you prefer / have the time)
- 2 corn cobs, skins peeled
- 2 tomatoes, washed and diced
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into 5 wedges
- 1 tin black beans
- 2 cups grated cheese (regular or vegan)
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt, or vegan sour cream
- 4 tbsp caramelised onion chutney (or more to taste)
- Coriander, chopped
- Olive oil
- Roast veggies: Preheat oven to 220°C. Place cut potato and sweet potato wedges in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with Mexican seasoning and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to coat. Place on a lined baking tray. Place corn cob on tray and drizzle with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes until potato is browning and corn is bright yellow.
- While veggies are roasting, prepare other ingredients as noted above.
- Remove the cooked potatoes from the oven, transfer the corn to a plate and set aside. Sprinkle the black beans and shredded cheese over wedges. Bake again until cheese is melted, maybe 5 minutes.
- While cheese is melting, scoop out the avocado flesh using a spoon. In a medium bowl mash the avo with a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle of olive oil until smooth. Add the sliced spring onion and season with salt and pepper.
- When the corn is cooled enough, slice the corn kernels off the cob.
- Serve: Divide up the spiced wedges between plates and top with the caramelised onion chutney, mashed avo, and Greek yoghurt or vegan sour cream. Sprinkle with corn kernels and tomato. Serve with the remaining lemon wedges and sprinkled with coriander.