I love how packed this dish is with vegetables! The original recipe is from The Foodie Takes Flight and is a vegan recipe, I have made it with plant based chick’n to keep it vegan, and also chicken thighs for a meat option. Just as tasty as a takeaway! It’s an easy one to make in bulk and have leftovers for lunch.
PREP: 15 MINUTES | COOK: 20 MINUTES | SERVES: 4
Vegetables and Protein
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small white onion sliced into squares
- 1 small carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth to cook down broccoli and carrot
- 220 g protein of choice (chick’n, chicken thighs diced, or prawns)
- 1/4 large head cabbage sliced
- 2 bok choy, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small red capsicum sliced into squares
- 1 can young corn sliced
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
Corn Starch Slurry
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup room temperature water
- 1-2 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steamed Rice or noodles
- Prepare the vegetables of choice.
- Sauce: Mix the sauce ingredient together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Surry: Mix the water and starch in a small bowl until diluted. Set aside.
- To Cook: Heat a large pan or wok over high heat. Once hot, add in cooking oil. Sauté the garlic and onion until translucent & aromatic, around 1 minute. Add in the carrot and broccoli. Over medium to medium high heat, add the water/broth and then cover the pan or wok to allow these to cook in the steam. Leave for around 3-4 mins or until the carrot and broccoli are half-cooked.
- Add in the cabbage, bok choy, red capsicum, young corn, and other veggies of choice. Stir-fry these over high heat for 1-2 minutes. You’ll want to get the veggies crisp and tender without these releasing much liquid.
- Protein: You can add a little more oil then stir-fry the vegan protein of choice. Cook until browned and warmed through. (If using meat option then transfer vegetables to a bowl and cover, and cook meat on its own in wok. Return vegetables to wok once meat cooked).
- Afterwards, lower heat to medium. Mix the sauce again then pour it over vegetables.
- Leave the sauce to a boil over medium heat. Once it boils, give the corn starch slurry a good mix then pour it in the pan. This will help thicken the sauce.
- Mix the veggies well to coat in the sauce. Taste the veggies and feel free to season with more soy sauce/vegetarian oyster sauce and salt + pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat. Serve and enjoy with some steamed rice or noodles.